Sunday, July 26, 2009

What I'm Looking Forward To

Now, on to another list...things I'm looking forward to. Of course, the top of the list is family and friends. But, here are some other things I can't wait for.

1. Driving. I have not driven a car since May 2008 when I went home for Blake's graduation. I think it's probably like riding a bike, if I can only remember to stay on the right side of the road and to not follow too closely!

2. Drinking water from the faucet! Yeah...I haven't done that in a while. It's going to be strange to just stick a glass under the faucet and then drink the water.

3. Wearing skirts and dresses. Oh! And high heels!

4. QUIET! No horns unless absolutely necessary, no loud vehicles, no screeching brakes, no construction noise (well, we are doing some repairs to our house in Colquitt), no random vendors yelling out the things they are selling as they walk down your street at 6:45 a.m., no pooja bells...

5. Stars. I live in a city of 8-9 million. Definitely cannot see the stars here.

6. Eating fruits and vegetables without having to wash them in potassium permanganate (aka poison).

7. One-stop shopping. Can I really go to one store and get everything I need in one stop? I can't remember. Target and Wal-mart, are you merely figments of my imagination?

8. People providing a service (like installing internet or making an order for, say, tailored clothes ready) when they say they are going to.

9. Chick-fil-A, Taco Bell, Mexican restaurants, Mama and Grannie's cooking, Daddy's grilled chicken, etc.

10. The holidays. "I'll be home for Christmas..."

11. Cold-ish weather. Fall and winter, I've missed you. I can't wait to wear a jacket and scarf and boots!

12. Feet that are almost always clean (and smooth).

13. My wonderful bed...no more dorm-sized, stiff mattress for me.

14. Lots and lots of grass!

15. Carpet.

16. Cashiers that are willing to make change even if you give them a bigger bill. That's one thing about business here that I still don't understand. You are hard-pressed to find a business or cashier that will give you change willingly. They always ask you for change...meaning they want the correct change from you because either they don't have change (why? aren't they running a business?) or they don't want to have to count it out.

17. Power that doesn't go out unless a thunderstorm, tornado or hurricane knocks it out.

18. Wide open spaces...South Georgia farmland, fields, pastures. Again, city of 8-9 million here. Also, personal space will be nice.

19. "Keeping the queue," or rather, no one breaking in front of you because it's just how things are done.

20. No staring. I won't be the only fair-skinned, blue-eyed blonde in the market anymore and won't get stared out. Wait...I might actually miss being the center of attention. ;-)

1 comment:

Josh and Kacie said...

You'll adjust back so fast it is not even funny.