Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Word for October- gimcrack

For my word of the month, per my 25 Things To While I'm 25 list (#19), I have chosen the word gimcrack.  Here's the definition from my MacBook Pro's Dictionary application.
  

gimcrack |ˈjimˌkrak |
adjective: flimsy or poorly made but deceptively attractive : plastic gimcrack cookware.

noun: a cheap and showy ornament; a knickknack.

DERIVATIVES
gimcrackery |-ˌkrakərē| noun

ORIGIN Middle English gibecrake, of unknown origin. Originally a noun, the term denoted some kind of inlaid work in wood, later a fanciful notion or mechanical contrivance, hence a knickknack.

My example sentences:

1.  Instead of going to Ulta, I bought a gimcrack straightening iron at the dollar store.

2.  It kind of bugs me when people fill their homes with silly gimcracks like troll dolls and stuffed animals.

No comments: