Saturday, April 18, 2009

18. NP stands for...

NOISE POLLUTION!



Probably not what "NP" on the truck stands for, but, hey, good enough. Quiet moments...they are so hard to come by here. If the back of the "lorry" is any indicator, it is just fine to "please sound horn please (please!!)" at all hours of the day and night. I'm not kidding.

One thing is for sure. It is very noisy here. Ask my mama. She can hear it...on Skype. Random music blaring from the temple down the street, the call to prayer from the nearby mosques, car/auto/lorry/bus/two-wheeler horns (and brakes...screech!), public announcements on loudspeakers, etc. It is chaotic and noisy!

My building is on a main road, and my apartment is at the front of the building. Near a bus stand. Enough. said. All day every day the sounds of traffic permeate our little humble abode. There really is not a moment of quiet. On top of that, the construction is (you guessed it!) still underway on the flat next to us. It's only quiet from about 2-5 a.m. Seriously.

If I had a recorder, I would let you hear it. But, alas, I do not.

1 comment:

Tales of a Girl said...

This may sound really weird, but I miss the noise. It's a little lonely without all the noise!